A favorite psalm describing a life led by God through easy times and hard times
Young’s Literal Translation
(comments in italics and parentheses)
1 A Psalm of David. Jehovah [is] my shepherd, I do not lack,
2 In pastures of tender grass He causeth me to lie down, By quiet waters He doth lead me.
3 My soul He refresheth, He leadeth me in paths of righteousness, For His name’s sake,
4 Also — when I walk in a valley of death-shade, I fear no evil, for Thou [art] with me, Thy rod and Thy staff — they comfort me.
5 Thou arrangest before me a table, Over-against my adversaries, Thou hast anointed with oil my head, My cup is full!
6 Only — goodness and kindness pursue me, All the days of my life, And my dwelling [is] in the house of Jehovah, For a length of days!
- Verse 4 “… when I walk in a valley of death-shade…”
- The valley of death-shade is part of the journey with God – it is still a right path.
- Verse 5 “Thou arranges before me a table”
- The scene shifts from the God as a shepherd to God as the master of a house hosting those under His care.
- Verse 6 “… my dwelling is in the house of Jehovah…”
- Everyone has eternal life – some have chosen to live under their own control apart from God and others have chosen to live under God’s control.
- From the moment our relationship with God starts we are part of His house forever.